Personal finance is a topic that affects all of us.
Whether you love or hate talking about anything related to finance, it's certain that money has a big impact on how we live our lives and the choices we make.
As with anything else, becoming savvier with money matters is a habit that's built up over time.
Podcasts can be a great way to support your learning in this department. Your mind will appreciate the steady stream of advice and practical tips. Before you know it, you'll be a pro at managing your finances.
Optimal Finance Daily, as you may already know, is the “personal finance” podcast of the Optimal Living Daily network. We love sharing and narrating articles from some of the best personal finance blogs online.
Continuing from our previous “best podcasts” post, here's a list of personal finance podcasts hosted by some bloggers we've featured. Our show is also on the list for those of you who are new to our podcast.
There's a wealth of knowledge in these podcasts. Listen to them, subscribe to your favorites, and apply what you've learned to boost your financial literacy!
1. Optimal Finance Daily (OFD Podcast)
Who: Hosted every weekday by Dan Weinberg since Feb 2016
What: Don't have enough time to read your favorite personal finance blogs? Then save time by listening to these curated episodes that are read to you in about ten minutes. Topics include budgeting, saving and planning for early retirement, and more.
- Host Dan has voiced advertisements for clients that include Petco, Burger King, and Instagram.
- Recommended by financial news site TheStreet.com.
- Likened to “an accountability coach faithfully nudging you to behave financially” for those looking for help with money (iTunes review).
2. Afford Anything
Who: Hosted by Paula Pant
What: Paula is a podcast host, speaker, and commentator on real estate investing and financial independence. Her podcast is ranked by Apple Podcasts as a Top 50 Business podcast.
- Her blog and podcast, “Afford Anything,” is rooted in one idea: that you can afford anything, but not everything.
- Featured on Oprah.com, Inc, and many other media outlets!
- Describes herself as not a beach bum seeking to down margaritas all day long; instead, she wanted freedom to be able to focus on Purpose-Driven projects.
3. Financial Independence Podcast
Who: Hosted by Mad Fientist
What: When it comes to personal finance podcasts, the website and branding of Mad Fientist is sure to make a lasting impression. Mad Fientist analyzes the tax code and gives advice via the perspective of early financial independence. Spreadsheets, advanced strategies, and tools are provided to help you on the path to early retirement.
- Fience = the science of Financial Independence. Hence, the mad “fientist.”
- Podcast includes interviews with exceptional individuals like J.D. Roth and Mr. Money Mustache featuring early retirement tips.
- Profiled in Business Insider's “Real Money” series.
4. InvestED: The Rule #1 Investing Podcast
Who: Hosted by Phil Town & Danielle Town
What: Phil is an NYT bestselling investment author and hedge fund manager. He and his daughter Danielle host the InvestED podcast, sharing perspectives on long-term and successful investing strategies.
- At one point, Phil used to make just $4,000 a year as a river guide.
- Provides free investing courses.
- Featured on Forbes’ Best of 2018.
5. The College Investor Audio Show
Who: Hosted by Robert Farrington
What: Host Robert Farrington is described as a millennial money expert. His almost daily podcast follows a summarized format which highlights popular content from his website. Topics include investing, paying off student loan debt, and building wealth through side hustling and more.
- The College Investor currently draws over 3,000,000 readers per month.
- Fast Company highlighted The College Investor as one of the best tax season resources.
- Farrington launched the website in 2009 from his home, while finishing his MBA. He couldn't find what he was seeking on campus and wanted to connect with others on his passion for personal finance and investing.
More Great Personal Finance Podcasts
These are other bloggers and finance experts who haven't been featured on our podcast (for the moment!). Dig in to these personal finance podcasts to learn more about money matters in a range of different styles and approaches.
6. Planet Money
Who: Hosted by NPR
What: Planet Money uses a creative dialogue and narrative to help you understand the economy. It launched in September 2008 to discuss the 2007-2008 financial crisis.
- Style is described as a balance of informative journalism and witty banter.
- Popular episodes include #416: Why The Price of Coke Didn’t Change For 70 years, and The Planet Money T-Shirt Project (Multiple Episodes).
- Has won many awards that include a Peabody and an Edward R. Murrow Award.
7. The Dave Ramsey Show
Who: Hosted by Dave Ramsey
What: Finance author and speaker Dave Ramsey dishes out common sense life and money advice on his show.
- Dave Ramsey started on one Nashville station back in 1992, sharing practical answers for difficult money questions. The show reaches 15 million weekly listeners today.
- Dave's 7 Baby Steps will show you how to build an emergency fund, pay off your debt, and build wealth.
- You can take part in his shows by scheduling a debt-free scream story or visiting the live show!
8. Radical Personal Finance
Who: Hosted by Joshua J. Sheats, MSFS
What: Focuses on in-depth content with ideas that are connect to specific next action steps to get you closer to your goals.
- Joshua's vision was to create a show he wished had existed when he was fifteen and trying to learn everything possibly about personal finance and money.
- Personal finance podcast topics are covered from a specialist's standpoint.
- Featured on The Street under “10 Best Investing Podcasts.”
9. So Money Podcast
Who: Hosted by Farnoosh Torabi
What: Host Farnoosh Torabi is an award-winning TV host, financial strategist, and bestselling author. On her podcast, you will hear from inspiring individuals in order to learn more about their financial outlooks and habits.
- Farnoosh answers your questions about money, career, guests, and more every Friday.
- Podcast has landed guests like Arianna Huffington, Gretchen Rubin, Seth Godin, Tim Ferriss, and Robert Kiyosaki.
- Farnoosh is a frequent financial contributor to programs like The Today Show to Good Morning America.
10. Money For the Rest of Us
Who: Hosted by J. David Stein
What: Money For the Rest of Us is all about money, how money works, and how to make your way through life without worrying about finances.